My Family Scrapbook

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Scroll Saw - My First Finished Piece

This is a little off the wall but I am going to share it with you anyway... I am all about showing a failure every now and again.

Although this is not an epic failure as it is a first try but I think it could have been better.

I will start with a little background. My dad who passed away 3 years ago loved to do wood working. I grew up watching him make sawdust.   The man made some of the most amazing things. His projects ranged from cabinets to children's toys. If he saw it made from wood he could duplicate it.

Recently I acquired a scroll saw and decided that I wanted to learn how to use it. Those who know me know that I jump in with both feet and no life preserver! I go for the gusto.

This was no different and I learned a lot in doing this first project. The main thing I learned is that I should have practiced with simple shapes first and then moved to something a little more complicated. BUT that wasn't what I did.... I started with the smallest thing I could find and got a bit frustrated. From that frustration came questions and answers from a pro. I stumbled on Steve's Blog and immediately started emailing him. He was so nice.  (Steve's site is also where you can download the program to make your own key chain!)

Everyone told me that I was very bold in starting with something so small and to start with fret work right out of the gate is unheard of.

Here is my first piece:










It is a key chain.  It is very rough but I learned so much!  Although I will not use this one I will still keep it to be able to see my progress.

I will post more wood projects as I complete them.  Right now I am working on other projects.

I just wanted to share what I had been up to.

Happy Crafting ! ! !

Brenda

No comments: