My Family Scrapbook

Friday, November 11, 2011

For The "Grinch's" In Your Life

With Christmas comes my warped sense of humor. There are generally those who do not like Christmas and try to put a damper on the holiday season. To them I refer to the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. What a great holiday tradition that movie has become.

I think the Grinch has been incorporated into many people's holiday traditions. I know here at my house it has.

Once again while surfing Pinterest for some new ideas I found this little craft. I found 2 different version of it, one using green M&Ms and the other using Spearmint Tic Tacs. I set out to do the Tic Tac version of it.

Nothing can ever be easy, and so with that said perhaps my journey to make these will help you do it with more ease.

I could not find the Spearmint Tic Tacs. Come to find out they do not make that flavor any longer. So to find another flavor in the correct color of green turned out to be my biggest challenge. Low and behold I found "Green Apple" Tic Tacs that were the same color as the Grinch. Perfect!

I then downloaded the "cut" file for folder.... it did not fit. It was fabricated for the smaller package of Tic Tacs - also no longer produced. So out came the Cricut Design Studio, George Cartridge, and scrap paper. It only took two tries to get the design the right size and everything welded. I was able to get six of these folders out of a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock.

I then had to re-size the front of it. For that I used my computer and Print Shop. One sheet of white cardstock will make 12 of the fronts for the folders.

Score the folders, add a thin holiday colored ribbon, put a little green ink around the white front for the folder, glue into place, insert the tic tacs and tie a bow and these are set to go.





These are going to be a holiday hit... great for me to give clients and a few "Grinch's" along the way.

Happy Scrappin' ! ! !

Brenda

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Love this project... I am collecting ideas for our school craft fair (fundraiser) next year. I keep seeing a treatment that I'm uncertain how to do... you have it around the edge of the front cover picture. (I can't tell if it's a green or gold, but it's a blurred border.) How did you do that? Photoshop? Spray paint? Other? Please do tell. :)

Many thanks,
Dawn
dawnsouthard@yahoo.com

Brenda said...

Dawn - sorry I did not see your post. To answer your questions... I round the corners with a corner rounder - it is a paper punch that can be found at Michael, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's Fabric or any scrapbooking store. The effect of color to the outside edges of that piece is done with a colored stamp pad and I use a cotton round (found in most make-up isles at the store. I blot some ink onto the cotton round and then just 'brush' the outside edge of the square. On this piece it is an olive green.

Brenda said...

I wish I still had that pattern saved. The computer that was completed on and saved on (and I am not one to back up things) is no longer in service and I have lost the pattern. I wish I could help but short of completely redoing it (and I am short on time right now). That was done in 2011 and seems like a life time ago.